What training is required of marriage and family Therapists? 

Family therapists are often credentialed as licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFT). A licensed marriage and family therapist will have a Master’s degree and/or a Doctoral degree in couple/marriage and family therapy as well as minimum of two years of supervised clinical training. MFTs are required to pass a rigorous licensing exam and should be involved in ongoing Continuing Education in the field.